Liposuction is a critical body contouring cosmetic surgery that can have a transformative effect on an individual’s appearance.
Like any other major surgery, liposuction should be preceded by adequate advance preparation to build a foundation for a safe and successful procedure. The surgeon will provide the guidelines for pre-surgery preparation and the patient should be committed to follow those guidelines and instructions.
Thoroughly prepared patients are typically more confident about the liposuction procedure, and achieve better satisfaction levels in the end. Patients who have maintained good fitness and diet prior to surgery will also usually have a faster recovery. Dr. Paul Fortes is a board certified plastic surgeon providing liposuction and other innovative and advanced procedures to patients in Houston, Texas, Beaumont, Port Arthur, TX, and surrounding locations.
Prior to the Surgery
Once the patient’s candidacy for liposuction has been determined, they should ideally accomplish the following tasks beforehand to save time and prepare well for the scheduled liposuction plastic surgery:
- Have the previous medical records from the doctor and the specialists delivered to the office of the liposuction surgeon.
- Note down all the medications, including prescription drugs, blood thinners such as aspirin, NSAIDs, as well as vitamins and herbal supplements to present before the surgeon.
- Get any laboratory tests or x-rays done as advised by the surgeon.
- Adjust the schedule of ongoing prescription drugs in consultation with the physician, if necessary.
- Quit smoking for at least a minimum period of time as instructed by the surgeon prior to the scheduled date of surgery.
- Complete any urgent assignments at work or home beforehand in order to have a stress-free time for recovery.
- Arrange for transportation to return home after the liposuction surgery.
- Arrange for aftercare for a few days, if required.
It is in the patient’s own benefit to strictly follow the preparatory steps and improve their chances of a successful surgery as well as rapid recovery.
One Day before the Surgery
Just a day before the liposuction surgery, the patient should follow these simple tips, which the surgeon’s staff may have provided:
- Rest well on the day before the surgery and have a good night’s sleep.
- Refrain from eating or drinking anything for eight hours prior to the surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 48 hours before the surgery.
- Do not wear jewelry, makeup, body piercings, nail paint, or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Wear comfortable and loose fitting clothes on the day of the surgery. If liposuction is needed in the upper body, choose a top with buttons in the front.
- Diabetic patients should get their vital parameters reviewed on the morning of the surgery.
It is likely that the patient may have some pre-op anxiety a day before the surgery. Depending on the case, the surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken the night before. Astute and fantastic cosmetic surgeon Dr. Fortes receives patients from Houston, Texas, Beaumont, Port Arthur, TX, and nearby areas for liposuction.
For more information about the cosmetic surgery treatments and procedures performed by Houston Plastic Surgeon Dr. Paul F. Fortes please click here or call 713-354-5123. Serving patients in Houston, Katy, The Woodlands, Beaumont, Port Arthur and other surrounding areas of Texas.