FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Common Questions About Preparing for Plastic Surgery
How do I pick a well qualified plastic surgeon?
Choosing your plastic surgeon is one of the most important decisions you will make regarding your procedure. When you are researching surgeons, make sure to select one who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Board certification ensures that your surgeon has met stringent requirements in training and practice.
Dr. Fortes has been with the Aesthetic Center for Plastic Surgery for over 20 years. Dr. Fortes is double board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and by the American Board of Surgery. He has had one of the most extensive training periods of 8 years in surgical residency, including 3 years of specialization in plastic surgery at Northwestern Medical Center in Chicago.
Am I a Good Candidate for Surgery?
Although being in good general health and prepared emotionally and financially for plastic surgery are good indicators that you may be ready for surgery, determining whether you are a good candidate for plastic surgery requires an individual consultation with a Dr. Fortes. We treat each patient as the unique individual they are and fully discuss your goals and options to help you determine if plastic surgery is the right choice for you right now.
Should I Quit Smoking Before Surgery?
Yes. You should stop smoking before surgery. It is not only good for your overall health to give up cigarettes, it will also aid your recovery from surgery. If you are a smoker, it is important to be honest with your plastic surgery about your smoking habits because smoking can have such a significant effect on your recovery.
Is plastic surgery outpatient or inpatient?
Most plastic surgery procedures are outpatient procedures. However, some cases do require an overnight stay, especially if there are complications. Dr. Fortes might recommend an overnight stay at our extended care facility. In addition, we offer a number of private recovery accommodations through our association with multiple premier and reputable hotels. We have special hotel rates for all our patients.
How Long Do Breast Implants Last?
Where will my surgery be performed?
How do I know that the surgery location is equipped for my safety and comfort?
The Surgicenter for ACPS is certified by the American Association for the Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF). This nationally recognized organization ensures that surgical facilities meet rigid guidelines with regard to physician credentials and life safety issues.
Dr. Fortes’s Houston Cosmetic surgical facility provides:
- Highly trained board-certified physician anesthesiologists administer anesthesia and monitor patients throughout the entire surgical procedure. They remain available for support throughout your stay.
- Innovational patient monitoring equipment during anesthesia.
- 2:1 patient care from registered nurses and our skilled medical assistants for added support.
- Home care visits are provided by a highly trained medical assistant the day after a patient is discharged from our surgery center. This professional monitors your condition and provides you and your caretaker with additional support and education for your postoperative care.
- Highly scrutinized AAAASF sterilization techniques.
- Equipment certification per strict AAAASF requirements.
- Emergency life support and resuscitation equipment.
How long will recovery take?
What Help Should I Arrange After Surgery?
How Do I Ease Back Into My Routine After Surgery?
Is there any insurance that covers plastic surgery?
Do you offer financing?
Do you have more questions about plastic surgery? We’d love to answer them!
Schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Fortes today.
Please call the Aesthetic Center for Plastic Surgery at 713-799-9999. We welcome patients from around the world.